Saturday, February 19, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

P Harry PotterImage via WikipediaOK, this is not a Magic Book book review. The Harry Potter books are not available electronically (at least not legally). However, this month I finally got around to reading it.

I am sure that there are a million Harry Potter reviews out there, so I am not going to ramble on much about my experience with it.

I can see the appeal to the book. It has a certain juvenile quality to it (in the best sense). It's about a boy who goes into a magical world and a magical school. It's easy for the reader to slip into the shoes of Harry Potter and enjoy his special adventure.

As a moderately well read person, I can say that there was not much new here. However, that's not necessary for children. Since they lack being well read, everything under the sun is new. That's a great place to start, I think. That said, the book moves along quickly and easily.
Tolkien in 1916, wearing his British Army unif...Image via Wikipedia
It is no where near the same level as Tolkien's LOTR series. But I can't help but think it's a nice way to get started in the genre that he created. The Lord of the Rings is a great epic, whereas JK Rowling's Potter series is more like a saga. I had only read Tolkien's books when I was around 19. I think it is a more mature read. Potter, on the other hand, would have been easily accessible to me around the age of 10.

I'm not sure if I will move on to the next book in the series. The library from which I got the first book does not seem to have the second book.

I also find myself remembering a crazy religious lady that happened to be the grandmother to my wife's friend's child. How quickly she put down the series for its use of magic as a major theme. She spat venom, and it really made me scratch my head at the fanaticism of some of the religious nut-jobs that exist in the world.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment