Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Discourse on the Evils of Dancing, Rev. John F. Mesick

Infamous hallucination sequence featuring Vane...Image via WikipediaThis is a very short text on how evil dancing is, and how it will corrupt us and deliver us into the hands of the devil. It is available freely at Gutenberg.org.

I'm not really certain what attracts me to mad ramblings. I suppose it's like being on the highway when there is a nasty accident being cleaned up by authorities. The urge to look at the horror is difficult to resist. That's what reading this was.


To be honest, when I started reading it, I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek essay. With a name like Rev Mesick, I thought the author was admitting to being some sort of sick weirdo. But, no. The author seemed entirely earnest in his condemnation of dancing and how it leads to hell.

Paradise Lost 13Image via WikipediaWell, what can I say? The heaven that these types of men envision sounds a lot like hell to me. Imagine a heaven where nothing is permitted, where there's a supreme deity that can read your mind and your heart (move over big-brother! We've got big-dad!). And, anything that promotes joy and pleasure is forbidden. The only occupation one might have is, as Satan put it in Milton's Paradise Lost, warbled hymns” and “forced halleluiahs." How one might see that as paradise is beyond me. 


In any case, one would hope that such insane thoughts ought to have perished with the last two centuries. Unfortunately, it's still quite alive. So, ladies... please, when a boy asks you to dance, just dance with him. Otherwise you get sick lunatics like Mesick writing this kind of drivel.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment