Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fantasy & Science Fiction, July 1, 2011

Hannes Bok's 1963 wraparound illustration of R...Image via WikipediaFantasy and Science Fiction is a very long running publication. I don't know if I've ever picked up a copy of the magazine. That, however, all changed tonight when I found a free copy at Amazon.com, courtesy of the website, Kindle Review. However, one thing to note is that the sample might very well be limited to nonfiction and one fiction piece.

Just some initial thoughts about the magazine. This is the first Kindle book I've had that looks like a book. The only thing it's really missing is the page numbers. What I mean by that is that a lot of the things one normally sees in a print on paper book are often missing in the ebook, in terms of headers and footers. In this magazine, it is interesting to note that both headers and footers are available. The header gives information about the section, the name of the article or story that is being read at the moment, toggles for 'prev article' 'next article' and the title of the next article as well. That's kind of neat. I have often thought that it was too bad that this information was missing in other things that I have read. I do wish they'd have the page numbers, though, so that I could include page numbers in my references to particular passages in the stories that I write about in this journal.

There also seems to be a generous quantity of reading material. Of course, quantity is nothing without quality. If this magazine has both, I might very well buy the next copy that comes out.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment