Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Country of the Knife, Robert E. Howard

   I have probably said it before. Robert E. Howard was a favorite of mine when I was a teenager. I must say that I still find his work highly enjoyable. You can find it freely on Feedbooks.org.
   I have read this story before. But it does no harm to read it again. El Borak is another indomitable fighting character. He shares a lot of the characteristics that Howard's Conan has. This story somehow got back onto my Kindle and I didn't bother going for another story. I just decided to reread it.
   The story follows a young man who hears from the lips of a dying friend a message meant for El Borak. So, he sets out for the adventure of a lifetime. Even as he's been caught by El Borak's enemies and he is being hauled to the slave block in a mountain community in some Afghanistan.
   El Borak comes to the rescue and for the message that he wanted to hear from the messenger. Not all goes according to plan. But through a desperate struggle and a great deal of killing, they manage to escape from the clutches of this Afghanistan fort.
  It's not a bad story. Not my favorite series of Howard's. I would never have gone out of my way to reread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment