Thursday, May 30, 2019

A Kingdom Strange--The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke, James Horn

   As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm doing research into the beginning of the English colonies in America. I came up with A Kingdom Strange--The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke. I found this book to be pretty useful and easy to read. You can find it on Amazon.com.

A lot of the other literature on these events made it difficult for me to make a clear timeline. Fortunately, Horn does include a fairly straight forward timeline towards the end of the book. I would have liked it if he had included months and days when those details were known. But he didn't. Again, it's better than the other sources I have found.

Oddly enough, in the beginning I believe Horn spells Sir Raleigh's name right, and then starts to call him Ralegh. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he always spelt the name wrong. What a goof, though. Did he not have an editor or proofreader?

No comments:

Post a Comment