Thursday, March 15, 2012

Susie Bright's Sexual Reality

I am growing to hate books which do not allow you to flip from chapter to chapter. This is one of those books. It would be so much better if it did not lack this feature. It's inexpensive at $2.99 on Amazon's website. Despite the crappy formatting, it's worth reading.

That aside, when I saw this book go on sale, I'm not really sure what caught my attention. I love some erotic literature. But I hate most of it. Most of it is so dull and unimaginative. When I saw the description for this one, it called out to me some how. It said, "I'm about eroticism, with a touch the erotic" or, better yet, a glimpse into a different mind than my own when it comes to that hidden world which stays in most people's closets, including mine.

This book is really a mixture of personal anecdotes and essays. Some look like they were extracted from a diary, while others seem like they were written for a magazine, and still others as a casual essay. I like this eclectic mix of thoughts and real life.

Susie Bright seems to have been one of the few articulate people to really want to explore her sexuality in a candid yet academic way. I really appreciate what she did and the journey she took. She could almost be my alter-ego in that inner sense, that self honesty thing I mean despite the fact that I am a heterosexual male.

In any case, reading this book was a lot of fun and enjoyable. I think it has a reasonable price... but please, would someone show these writers how to format these books for Kindle?!

Have you ever felt like a pink dinosaur? That is to say, something that is extinct, but may never have existed at all? I guess what I mean to say is that my tastes in sexuality are not a matter of public record for a good reason. I'm not going to change that here. Susie Bright has managed to make a living out of her libido and pen. She calls herself bisexual, but with a strong lean on the butch dyke side. A visit to her blog, susiebright.blogs.com, confirms that she is more interested in the gay side of life than the hetero. I'm not sure if this is just the more interesting side to play on for her (or for anyone looking for an adventure beyond the semi-socially acceptable) or if it's just the most profitable. The reason I bring this up is that at the end of the book she identifies herself as bisexual. However, my own label for her would be bi-curious: that is to say, a lesbian with occasional heterosexual urges: an urge to get pregnant, for instance, might be a call that no lesbian can make, or just for a change of routine, or maybe even a mistake that one needs to make from time to time, like drinking too much.

I wish I could give a more candid view into this book and its relationship with my own thoughts and feelings. However, I still live in the closet. I may be honest with myself, but the world isn't ready for me. In a sense, I felt the connection with her there. The world isn't really ready for her. The difference is that she hasn't been afraid of embracing it. Doing so, in fact, has been her life. Doing so for me might cause too many problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment